Big Idea for Week 4: God’s people are God’s plan to share God’s purpose (Jesus) For Our City.
Told people, Tell people.
Think about what God says to His people in Babylon: Jeremiah 29:4-7
1. I sent you. (v.4)
- God put them there. Wow. Maybe God sent you too.
- God can use your difficult circumstance for His glory.
- God doesn’t promise easy but He does promise Himself.
- Knowing that God has sent you makes a difference. Jesus said, “As the Father sent me, so I send you." (John 20:21)
- The two most formative moments in Israel’s existence, were also its most challenging.
- Egypt and Exile were used by God to shape His people, and to share His purpose.
- Amazingly, both Egypt and Exile reappear in the story of Jesus’ birth (wise men from Babylon, fleeing to Egypt). God can use and redeem the difficult circumstances you find yourself in.
2. Establish Yourself. vs. 5-6
- Settle down and plant roots where God has placed you.
- Stop working on your escape plan and know that God has a plan.
- Build relationships where you are.
- Invest in this community; be salt and light here and now.
3. Seek the Welfare of the City. v. 7
- Welfare: Shalom (Complete wholeness and Life).
- Paul said in Romans 5:1, “Therefore since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- As you seek the welfare of your city, remember:
- Good Works, leads to Good Will, which leads to the Good News (Eric Swanson)
- It’s hard to hate someone that you are praying for.
- You can’t have Jeremiah 29:11 without Jeremiah 29:7.
- Meaning, that you can’t know God’s plans for you, without being part of God’s purpose for all.
- Jeremiah 29:11 is a great verse, but it is one of the most misused verses in the Bible because we try to separate God’s plans for me from God’s purposes for all.
Application of Teaching
- We will not experience God’ s plans for our church, until we engage in God’s purpose for our city.
- Reiterate Big Idea: God’s people are God’s plan to share God’s purpose (of Jesus) for our city.
- Put your focus on Jeremiah 29:7, and then put your trust in Jeremiah 29:11.
Practical Next Steps:
- Learn the Needs of Our City:
- Engage the Needs of Our City:
- Holy Spirit
- No Longer Slaves
- Reckless Love
- O Praise The Name