Who is Jesus?
Jesus Is The I Am
What is He asking of us?
We must abide by God's Word.
- Jesus makes six declarative statements about who he is... we must decide whether to believe who Jesus says he is or the opinions of man:
- "I am the light of the world" (v12)
- "I am from above... I am not of this world" (v22)
- Jesus declares He is the Savior... "unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins" (v24)
- Jesus declares He is the Son of Man... "when you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He" (v28)
- Jesus declares He is God incarnate (Emmanuel)... "for I came from God and I am here" (v42)
- Jesus declares He is the I AM (the every name of God told to Moses in Exodus 3:13-15)... "before Abraham was, I am" (v58)
- Jesus instructs us twice to abide/keep His Word... we must decide whether we uphold Scripture as the truth is proclaims to be or the opinions of man:
- v31 - "if you abide [remain] in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"
- v51 - "if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death"
Applications: How do we live by the Spirit?
To be people of his Word means spending time with Jesus in Scripture. Why do we struggle to spend meaningful time in God's Word?
Consider your plans for the week - work, rest, goals, activities, to-do list, etc. - when do you set aside time to be with Jesus? Can you do something meaningful with 20 minutes of your day? Over the course of 75 years that adds up to 380 days - an entire year of your life... If we're going to spend over a year of our life doing something - let's make it meaningful and worth it! Jesus very much desires to be with you, so let's begin the discipline of being people of his Word.
"If we believe the Bible is the Word of Jesus, why is it not more precious to us?"
"I wonder if we treat our Bibles like a Calculator." (Example: When we were in school we complained about learning multiplication tables and equations by memory when calculators are available to do the math for us, but it was important to learn the fundamentals and be able to readily and easily do the math if needed. The same for scripture. Yes the Bible is available, but it's so important to have Jesus's words ingrained in our minds that we're able to readily and easily share them with others.)
"Do something meaningful for 20 minutes each day. This equates to around 1 year of your life. "