Matthew 13:31-32, Mark 1:14-15, Matthew 6:33, Romans 14:17, Matt 25:34, Luke 19:11-12, 1 Corinthians 4:20, Colossians 1:13-14, Colossians 1:19-20, Matthew 16:15-20, John 3:3, Luke 9:57-62, Isaiah 61:4
- What does the Bible say about the Kingdom of God?
- What is it?
- Kingdom is a present spiritual reality of God’s rule and reign
- Kingdom is a future inheritance of God’s rule and reign
- How can we prepare?
To be about the kingdom we have to know and love the King
Immediacy of the call to follow Jesus
Immediacy of discipleship
Fervent in Kingdom work
- Why does it matter?
"Why here is the most radical proposal ever presented to the mind of man, the proposal to replace the present world order with God’s order, the Kingdom of God.” -HG Wells
"The purpose of God's kingdom is to show how great the King is."
"Any place God is ruling, and reining and supreme and great, that is the kingdom of God."
“Anytime we are involved in making this world more reflective of God’s coming kingdom and are redeeming something lost or broken because of the fall, we are involved in a degree of kingdom work."
"We've settled for conversion over transformation."
"Christianity will indeed accomplish many useful things in this world, but if it is accepted to accomplish those useful things it is not Christianity.” - Machen
"If we're going to be faithful to the King, there is a radical nature in which we are willing to follow Jesus at the cost of everything else."
“The modern man is usually quite casual about his religion. He will often undertake radical measures in the pursuit of wealth, success, power; but he is unwilling to become deeply moved about the concerns of his soul. Jesus says that such a man cannot know the life of the kingdom. It demands a response, a radical decision, an enthusiastic reception. Nominalism is the curse of modern western Christianity. Jesus’ disciples must be radicals in their unqualified enthusiasm for the life of God’s kingdom." -Ladd
- How do I contribute to building into God’s kingdom?
- Church work is kingdom work
- Cannot say we love the kingdom and are separate from the church. Ortlund says its like saying I love Marriage but I’m not doing anything committal in my marriage
- Church is a contrast community who lives according to kingdom values, worshipping the King, and evidencing the power of God over sin, sickness, and death
Build Your Kingdom Here
Great Are You Lord
A Prayer For Faith
I am Set Free
More Than Conquerors